On the table in 30 minutes

by Kimberly on March 26, 2006

in Blogging,Food

I arrive home from tonight’s rehearsal at 9:25 p.m. Grey’s Anatomy will be on in half an hour. I am hungry, and I need to cook dinner in 30 minutes. How convenient that Barrett, Meg and Justin of Too Many Chefs have chosen “Make it in 30 minutes” as the theme for the 24th Is My Blog Burning.

I have just purchased a top loin steak, a shallot, baby spinach and arugula, an avocado, strawberries and greek yogurt. Dinner tonight will be sliced steak on arugula/spinach salad with warm shallot dressing (a variant on the Roman straccetti di manzo), and strawberries with cassis and greek yogurt.

I start to cook at 9:34 p.m. First I wash and slice a handful of strawberries, toss them with a glug of cassis, and set them aside.

I’ve already assembled the following ingredients for the steak and salad:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 lb top loin steak (1 inch thick)
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 small shallot
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
4 oz mixed baby spinach and arugula
1 small avocado (this is not traditional, but it was ripe)

sliced steak on salad w/ hot shallot dressingThe spinach and arugula come prewashed. I open the bags, and mound greens on a plate. I slice the avocado, and arrange on top of the greens.

I heat the oil, garlic clove (smashed with the blade of a knife) and rosemary in a 10-inch skillet over medium high heat, until the garlic is just beginning to color, about 4 minutes. While the oil is infusing, I slice the shallot into thin rings. I cut the steak crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices, and toss with a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper. I discard the garlic and rosemary, then dump the steak slices into the skillet. I sauté the steak over high heat, using tongs to turn the slices so that all sides brown evenly, about 1 1/2 minutes (that’s for medium-rare to medium). I remove the steak to a bowl, and cover it to keep warm. I add the shallot, vinegars, and several grinds of pepper to the skillet, and simmer until the shallot is soft (about 2 minutes). While the shallot is cooking, I arrange the steak over the greens. I stir the juices from the steak into the warm dressing, and pour over the steak.

The time is 10:01 p.m. My dinner is ready, 27 minutes after I began cooking. And Grey’s Anatomy is a re-run. Ah, well, I’ll just enjoy my meal.

strawberries w/ cassis and greek yogurtAfter finishing my steak and salad, I use the 3 minutes remaining in my 30 to stir the cassis and juice from the strawberries into some greek yogurt, and layer the berries and yogurt into a bowl. Dessert is ready.

(Note: The sliced steak recipe serves two. My husband had already had dinner when I arrived home, so I saved the second serving of steak for lunch tomorrow.)

Technorati tags: +

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Melinama March 27, 2006 at 2:48 am

Unbelievable. And to think I was eating cornflakes. Way to go!

2 Karen March 27, 2006 at 6:16 am

I was so disappointed Grey’s Anatomy was a re-run! I look forward to that show on Sunday nights before I have to hit the hay and start a new week!

3 lynne March 27, 2006 at 9:19 am

even though i haven’t had steak in years your dinner still looks very delicious to me. i have a thing for colorful eating.
i love GA, it is the only show i watch on a regular basis, but i missed many of the earlier episodes so not too disappointed w/ the rerun. look forward to next week’s show.

4 Bauhaus March 27, 2006 at 11:14 am

My, what a lovely meal. Infinitely better than any the Poor Pitiful Human Female makes. She has yet to uncover the mysteries of the shallot, and still insists on serving me water from–of all things–a cat fountain. I demand Waterford! Regarding your questions: what, in your opinion, is the best free image host on the web? I would love to enter my beautiful self into Carnival of the Cats, but as yet lack the resources to do so.

5 Terri March 27, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Hi…from Michele’s.
Your dinner sounded delicious and I was disappointed that Gray’s Anatomy was a rerun!

6 srp March 27, 2006 at 8:01 pm

The berries look soooooooooooooooo yummy.
Kimberly you are so organized.
I am amazed and awed. Architect, great cook, masterful violinist, amazing jam chef and take care of a husband and those three cats. I’m tired just thinking about it.

7 terrilynn March 28, 2006 at 6:49 am

That sounds delicious. I’m in a really deep food rut and need to take a page from your book and treat myself to better dinners, instead of just making popcorn, when I’m eating alone.

8 bonnie March 28, 2006 at 8:03 am

Divinely delicious! I also like how you roll with the punches.

I so appreciated your recent comment at Vicki’s, Kimberly!

9 sandy March 28, 2006 at 7:23 pm

Wow, yum! Makes my “I worked and it’s late” frozen dinner seem so very lame. I’m jealous…and hungry.

10 Ava March 30, 2006 at 2:56 pm

Sounds great, but you eat after 10 at night? We always eat around 5pm and have for years. I always hear stories of senior citizens who eat early, but it’s not the case for us. When my hubby worked, the meal was on the table when he got home at 5 and over 50 years later, it’s still the same.
Ava